Construction & Materials
Finding the right professionals and materials to complete your building or remodeling project can be time consuming. Our Construction & Materials Directory helps simplify your search by providing you with the top local building professionals and suppliers focused on quality work and materials.
1. The main concern for many people is finding a Bay Area contractor with significant building & Bay Area construction experience. While experience is very important, it also helps to look for a contractor that has done work that is similar to your home building or home improvement project. If you have seen a recently constructed or remodeled home, ask the real estate agent that sold the property, or the owner that commissioned the project, for a referral. It is much easier to work with a contractor that has already completed a project that has the same elements you want to incorporate.
2. Determine what type of contractor you need. When people get work done to their homes they often look for a general contractor. General contractors are very useful because not only can they complete multiple times of work, but they can also coordinate & supervise any sub-contractors needed for a your job. However, there may be times when a specialty contractor is more appropriate, such as for a single electrical job. It is appropriate to use a general contractor when your project requires multiple types of work (plumbing, electrical, carpentry etc.) Your general contractor will either complete all the work himself or hire & supervise licensed sub-contractors.
3. Don’t rely on the endorsement of one referral – always ask your contractor for at least three referrals from prior jobs they have completed that you can contact. Whenever possible, try to get reviews from homeowners of projects where your general contractor used the same crew that will be working on your home. It is important not only to feel confident in your general contractor, but in any sub-contractors involved too.
4. Do your research. With over 310,000 contractors in California alone, it is important to ensure you select a Bay Area contractor for your construction project that is licensed in CA and is the best suited to complete your job. Visit California’s Contractor’s State License Board or Department of Consumer Affairs to look check the status of your Bay Area contractor’s license.
5. Insurance – they have to have it! Prior to allowing any contractor to start work on your home, always ask for copies of their insurance documents (this goes for any sub-contractors on their crew as well). These documents include, but are not always limited to, property damage, workmen’s compensation & personal liability. Any decent contractor can produce these documents easily. Failure to confirm that your contractor is carrying the appropriate insurance could result in you being held liable for damage or accidents that occur during your project.
6. As with any business agreement, after the negotiation is through, ALWAYS put the terms in writing & make sure both parties walk away with a copy. This should include the cost, timeline, details on what work will be completed & any other specifics you have discussed.
Most consumers today demand well-equipped companies to handle all of their construction jobs, landscaping projects and renovations. Design Shop Build showcases the best professionals in Bay Area construction, plumbing, lighting, floors, painting, home heating and air, tile, electrical companies and more so that you are able to easily find a Bay Area contractor or home professional that will suit you and your needs perfectly. We have comprehensive information about landscaping professionals in the Bay Area, as well as general contractors to help you with finishing touches on construction expertly finished by a qualified Bay Area contractor.
After you have browsed through our website, be sure to contact us today to find out how we can help you find the very best contractors in the Bay Area for all of your construction and renovation needs!